Friday, May 20, 2011

Holy Mole!!

So, it's official! I've crossed over into a (mild) obsession with FONDA mexican restaurant. I've eaten there twice this week already, once with Olesya and also tonight with a friend that invited me because she had never been. (I have to say I was a bit embarrassed that I was there again as I ate there last week with my Aunt Zita from Ohio.) The waiters must think I have some kind of addiction. Can't really argue, but anyway... I spent the better part of my evening Wednesday making mole from scratch from the Truly Mexican cookbook I bought from FONDA. Of course I selected the most challenging recipe that required no less than 30 ingredients and, oh, roughly 4 hours of my time. But It had mexican chocolate in it!! I could NOT say NO to that, regardless of the challenge!

 Seriously, 30 ingredients!
The recipe called for 4 different kinds of chiles. Guajillo, chilhuacle, mulato and pasilla. I only could not find the chilhuacle negro, which would have made my mole quite a bit darker, pitch black like the one in the previous post, drizzled on top of roasted chicken enchiladas.
 Husbands are great for igniting things! Part of the process of making mole requires that you blacken the chile seeds, ignite them and then burn 2 tortillas which, when combined with several other roasted or fried ingredients, produce a dark, velvety, rich mole.

Lighting and burning the tortillas was quite fun, actually.  (I did keep a bowl of cold water nearby)
So 30 ingredients, a kitchen fire and 4 hours later I had a big, pot of velvety mole negro oaxaqueno, or black mole from oaxaca. Bueno! Now on to make the homemade corn tortillas. I think I'll serve this next Monday when my friend Krista visits.  With roasted chicken and guacamole perhaps! Mmm!

Saying of the day: If you can't take the heat don't light the tortillas! I couldn't resist.

2 comments:

  1. Yes ma'am, I will! That was an impressive fire, wasn't it mom? ; )

    ReplyDelete