Tuesday, May 17, 2011

dead heading

I walked to work this morning in the pouring rain in my 'rubber wellies'. (I learned that from my Scottish friend. It sounds so much more interesting than 'rubber rain boots'.) But, I had to fire someone today, so it seemed like a longer walk than the usual 3 or so blocks. Letting someone go is never easy and it's never fun. A not-so-nice way to start the day.

Running a business is like gardening. Deadheading. If you leave the dead pansies on the plant it may look fuller and colorful, but it's just a ruse. The dead flowers are sucking the energy and life out of the other lovely ones. So, I guess I was preparing a few weeks ago for this to happen as I was very carefully tending the pansies in front of the salon. It pained me to pinch off the wilted purple heads, but a week later the pansies came back so thick and beautiful.

So, I tended my garden today. And ironically enough when I walked home the rain had stopped and the sun was shining. (But my feet were hot and my legs were sweaty from wearing wellies all day.) 

In my haste to leave I had forgotten my phone at work, so my daughter and I took a walk up to the salon. After a quick little bang trim for Olesya and the promise, a.k.a. bribe, of a $1 toy at Toy Space, we stopped at our favorite mexican restaurant FONDA. In addition to the obligatory guacamole I had the most aMAZing chicken enchilada with black mole sauce! UN BE lievable! Did you know mole is made with about 30 ingredients with one of them being chocolate?? 

Chicken Enchilada with black mole sauce at FONDA

I can't think of a better way to end the day than this. Walking home, Olesya and I watched the sun descending over the park and then we chased each other in the grass. It had been cut a week or so ago, chopped quite roughly, but today it was super green and lush. A foreshadowing perhaps?

The photos are of today's highlights, which also include the purchase of a much anticipated, autographed version of the new cookbook from the chef at FONDA!

Peekin' at the park
True love for TRULY MEXICAN

TRULY MEXICAN, autographed by the chef

TRULY MEXICAN

PS, I had it autographed to 'Karlita', instead of Karla. Sorta like Wellies vs. Rainboots ; )

2 comments:

  1. I love love love this- not only did I learn I need to trim MY daisies, as much as it pains me.... It's also a good thing to trim the 'dead ends of life'... I began to think about the HUGE cut that is coming in this season of my life.... It may be a rough cut (like the grass or the infamous firing) at first...but now I'm convinced it will soon be plush & flourishing in due time!! Filled with JOY! (and a lot of Mexican food!! - you MUST visit dear sweet friend!!)
    Love you much... Thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sweet note, Deborah. I actually have some really great news for you! Did you know FONDA restaurant was originated in TEXAS!! Austin, I believe.

    So, in addition to the number of beautiful new pansies that will be springing up in your life there will also be plenty of good mexican food!

    I will miss you, sweet friend. I've got to find my way out to see you for sure! In the meantime, let's meet up for some MEXICAN!

    ReplyDelete