Monday, June 13, 2011

You wanna IGUANA?

I've never owned an Iguana. I may have touched an Iguana once or twice, but I'm not really a reptile keeper. A salon client (and now friend) of mine, Joyce Yamada, is quite the artist, as I have recently discovered! And she really wanted me to have an Iguana around. It all came about as I was cutting her hair one day and our conversation had trailed off from the topic of hair to our mutual arts/crafts obsession.  A conversation peppered with "oohs", "ahhhs" and "ohhh, that's a dangerous store...let me get you the link to it!"

So, it was decided that we must find a way to share our gifts with each other. Mine in the form of offering trend right, yet effortless hairstyles and hers in the form of... WOW!  Artist Joyce Yamada has just created the most intriguing, seasonal window display ever to be seen at Slope Suds Salon. Featuring, you guessed it, a stuffed Iguana!

my pet iguana (on short-term loan from joyce) 


the bucket might be the only thing that joyce didn't make here.
Look at the layers of detail in this installment. At least 3 colors/types of seaweed, hand-cast resin starfish and even resin ice in the bucket for a fun twist on our beachy, summer theme. I say "our", but I  can't really claim to have anything to do with the display except for filling the ice bucket with Davines summer-worthy hair products. Oh, and I have to admit to enjoying some Miso soup and Sushi, both laced with seaweed. In honor of the installation, of course.
beautiful view at slope suds, gotta keep it interesting!    
So, getting back to the nitty gritty, I was present to assist, but really wasn't helpful at all as Joyce was applying all the layers. I really wanted to be helpful!! But I was mesmerized by all the attention to detail. Each strip of seaweed was first hand-shaped, dipped in paint and squeezed out to create the varied veins of color, laid out to dry and then re-dipped, but into a watered down wood glue to stiffen the fabric. And that's only a fraction of what was invested in this beautiful creation!
joyce at work, not even taking a sushi break! 
Funny side story, well, at least in retrospect. The kids and I stopped by the salon later this afternoon to have a look at the finished installation.  Pasha really only tagged along so he could have a say in what I picked for his dinner, but nevertheless we stopped by and got a great close up. I decided this would be a good opportunity for Olesya to go on her first short walk in big girl underpants. Needless to say, she left a puddle/footprint trail thru the salon. Just as I was finishing up cleaning the floor Joyce and her husband Kurt happened to stop by too. Perfect timing to show off the display, actually, as the sun was setting, never mind showing off my potty-training/parenting skills! But, graciously and kindly, Kurt didn't ignore Olesya's plea for a closer look at the handmade starfish and Iguana and lifted up the soggy, almost-3-year-old for a better view!

So, you'd like a better view too? Here it is!
blue lights give a watery hue to the display


 
For an even BETTER view, you know where to go! Feel free to stop by Slope Suds next time you're in the Slope to see Joyce's latest and quite possibly GREATEST creation. Okay, I'll admit to a little bias here! But, Joyce, you're AMAZING!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful creation (and your Iguana) with Slope Suds!


...Oh gosh, I have to do it. If you're wondering what's in that ice bucket in the window display...Slope Suds is having a special that you won't find anywhere in NYC on Davines Melu products! (I recommend it to all of my friends that want stronger hair or thermal protection) Get one FREE Melu product when you purchase 3! There it is! ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment