Saturday, May 21, 2011

16 years and all's well!

Wow! 16 years of marriage bliss! Well... maybe not bliss. More like hit or miss . . .
. . . lol??

I do suppose it is more helpful than not to have a target, a goal of sorts to keep the marriage thriving. If you don't have a goal in sight you'll always be wondering when you're marriage is going to "arrive'. We do have a goal, but it's not lofty, to say the least. I mean, he doesn't expect dinner to be ready by 6pm and I don't expect breakfast in bed.

What we strive for is not really marriage bliss.  I think we're working towards more of a groove, per se. Not a cookie cutter relationship where the husband always does this and the wife always does that. But synchronization. Visualize synchronized swimming. It does make me laugh to think of it sometimes, but I've tried it and it's really, really hard! It takes a lot of deep breaths, counting, strength and endurance to stay in sync. (Wow, I think I've had to count to 10 once or twice in my marriage and I've definitely needed endurance.) It's notsomuch that you're doing exactly the same thing at the same time that puts you in sync. Sometimes you'll notice the swimmers doing different things at different times, but it flows! And it becomes almost musical. Visual harmony.

Well, I wouldn't call our marriage musical or harmonious, but we know we love each other and that helps us stay in sync. I know he likes his coffee black. He knows I like mine fancy. I know he loves/worships hockey. He knows I love/worship God! But I'm flawed. And so is he. So, what do we do with that? Remember those deep breaths? I'm kidding. So, I did get breakfast in bed for mother's day. But I'd never tell you that he put jelly instead of honey on my toast. Or that he used the wrong tray. Cause guess what? My husband gave me breakfast in bed on Mother's Day!

...and I might ask for it again tomorrow.

...ahem, this is how I spent our anniversary today. It's all good. I think we're going for dinner tomorrow, but Olesya and I shared a lovely post-rain walk this afternoon and here's what I captured.

Olesya in her "liggy bug" crocs spotting a flower in bloom

Dora, the dare-devil, going for a ride on the grocery belt

Little miss priss and Dora

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BABE! THANKS FOR HOLDING YOUR BREATH WITH ME!

3 comments:

  1. Well written, Karla. I think you've nailed it, there is no such thing as marriage bliss. At times maybe, but it is a lot of work and things change and you have to deal with things, be open to challenges and learn from mistakes. I love how you have really captured the truth about yourself if you bio here too. Good self insight! miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, hi Hege! Thanks for the comment and for the follow! I always love to hear from you, especially on things like this. I know we've had this type of conversation numerous times and I always valued your feedback and admired the relationship you have with Randy. I think I'm going to have to find a way to visit you in Norway. It just seems wrong to be so far away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! so cute p.s. love the turned up nose. (this comment is from Big Brother Pasha)

    ReplyDelete