Sunday, June 12, 2011

"LIGGY BUG picnic" birthday for Olesya

Olesya is just a couple days away from being 3 years old. What?? Already?? Yep! The guys that run the cafe down the street, Southside Coffee, were commenting today about how it seems like just yesterday when I went in alone for a cup of coffee after Olesya was born. It seemed strange to go in without her, anywhere for that matter, but she was in N-ICU and we were not allowed to take her home for 2 1/2 weeks. Time could have stood still and I wouldn't have noticed. So today we are celebrating the birth, life and health of our precious, (and sassy) little thing, Olesya!

Some of our dearest friends gathered with us to celebrate the little girl that can't say "lady bug". It's "liggy bug", and I'd kinda like to keep it that way! If I had my own cute word I'd plan a party around it too, but I don't have any cute words and, well, it's not my birthday. With "liggy bug" on my mind  it seems like everywhere I go I see them. The outfit she is wearing, for example. It was on sale, so it had to be done. Lady bug tank top with red leggings and black spots. A red tutu? Just ridiculous!

I made cake pops for the celebration. (Next time remind me what kind of effort this requires.) I really think I'll buy Donut Holes from Dunkin Donuts and then decorate them. They taste so good to begin with and take muuuuch less effort. And can end up equally cute and tasty. (that was free!)
 
But no one complained and, in fact, some thought they were pretty tasty. I should hope so. I used the raw, organic cocoa from Bali. But the sugar, and loads of it, was just plain old Domino. Take a peek at the end result.
Planning the party was a bit more fun than usual. One, because my kids are a little older and I have bit more time for this sort of thing. But recently I went to an Urban Girl Squad party planning event with guest host Sweet Dani B, yes the one that is on Martha Stewart for her adorable hand-designed cookies. Anyway, with the savvy tips I picked up, plus the inspiration to do something fabulous I pulled out all the stops, well, a few.

I tried to throw a party that I could brag about for saving money by hand-making a bunch of stuff, but it didn't really turn out to be quite a money-saving venture. Not exactly. Err...next time! It does help to have a few months to plan and I hadn't quite worked out my theme in advance. (Maybe I hadn't heard liggy bug often enough?) But, I did make a few things like the banner, cake pops and the cloth napkins that lined the sandwich boxes and re-purposed some flower buckets for the cake pops. Kids' sandwiches were a breeze, just used a ladybug cookie cutter and WOW! grilled cheeses and pbj's with wonky chocolate chip eyes were ready for the kiddos. No complaints! ; )
 You know, this was supposed to be an outdoor picnic. My hubby and I spent hours out back the last couple weeks. Bringing in new plants, trimming down the old ones and even assembling a gazebo in case it rained. Well, it did rain. And the wind blew. And, well, we had the best indoor picnic we've ever had! We did the same picnic thing, complete with checkered table cloth, only indoors!
The table was jam-packed with picnic favorites and old-school sodas and chips. And my friend Elizabeth even brought yummy deviled eggs, which I didn't get a picture of probably because someone scarfed them down.

Old friends, new friends, big friends, little friends. Oh, and loooaaads of awesome presents! (That's a whole 'nother blog post!!) I'd say it was a good night! Happy Birthday Olesya!! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment